1. Marinate 500 gms chicken (preferably leg & thigh pieces) with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1.5 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder and 4 tbsp whisked curd. mix well and set aside in room temperature for an hour.
2. Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and add 1 medium size cubed onion, 1 inch of chopped ginger, 6 garlic cloves, 4 cashew nuts, 2 small green chillies cut into half. mix with a spoon and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. drain the items and allow it to cool. transfer to a blender and blend it to a paste. keep aside.
3. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai/pan and add the whole spices namely 2 green cardamom, 3 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon, 1/4 piece mace / javitri, 8 black peppercorns, 1 bay leaf. give a stir and add the blended paste.
4. Mix well and fry on medium heat for around 5 minutes.
5. Now add 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, 3 tbsp tomato purée and a pinch (1/8 tsp) of salt. mix well and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
6. Now add the marinated chicken, mix well and fry on high heat for 5 minutes. continue to fry it, stirring it occasionally for another 3 minutes on medium heat.
7. Now simmer it on low heat for another 2-3 minutes till oil separates.
8. Add 1/2 cup water. mix, cover & cook on low heat for around 15 minutes.
9. Once done, add 3 tbsp fresh cream, 1 tsp roasted & powdered kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves. mix well and simmer for 2 minutes till oil separates.
10. Chicken lababdar is ready to serve.