1. Cut fresh coconut into small pieces, add 1 cup of chopped coconut to the blender along with 3 cups water and blend to a fine consistency.
2. Strain this liquid and add another cup of water to the coconut from the strainer and blitz it really well. strain it again. keep the milk aside.
3. Gently pound handful of coriander leaves, 2 slit green chillies and 3-4 cloves of garlic in a mortar and pestle to extract the oils and flavours before adding them to the sol kadhi.
4. Take a large mixing bowl, and add pounded coriander-green chilli paste, salt to taste and 4-5 pieces of kokum and mix well. if you don’t have kokum, tamarind or raw mango is a great option too!
5. I also added a piece of beetroot because kokum does not have a very dark color (optional)
6. Leave the mixture in the refrigerator for a few hours for the flavours to infuse. strain once chilled.
7. On the side, prepare the tempering. in oil, add a pinch of asafoetida / hing, 1/4 tbsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tbsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp sesame seeds. once the seeds crackle mix in 7-8 curry leaves, green chillies to taste and add it to the refrigerated kadhi!
8. Enjoy with a hot bowl of rice or as a cool drink in the summer heat!