1. Firstly, in a large kadai heat 1 tsp ghee and 2 cups grated coconut. saute until coconut turns aromatic.
2. Now add 1 cup jaggery and mix well.
3. Keep cooking on medium flame until the jaggery melts. continue to cook until the mixture thickens and still remains moist.
4. Now add 1/2 tsp cardamom powder and mix well. stuffing is ready. keep aside.
Modak dough preparation
5. In a large kadai take 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp ghee. mix well and get the water to a boil.
6. Further add 2 cups rice flour and mix gently. mix until the rice flour absorbs all the water. cover and rest for 5 minutes.
7. Now transfer to a large bowl and start to knead the dough. wet your hands and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough turns soft.
8. Modak dough is ready. wet your hand and knead if the dough seems dry.
Modak shaping with hand
9. Firstly, take a ball sized rice flour dough and flatten it.
10. With the help of both thumbs start pressing the edges and create a dent in the centre.
11. Slowly press from edges till it forms a cup.
12. Start creating pleats with your index finger and thumb.
13. Now scoop a tbsp of prepared coconut-jaggery stuffing.
14. Get the pleats together to form a bundle.
15. Close the top by pinching and making it pointed.
16. Place the modak in steamer leaving gaps in between.
17. Cover and steam the modak for 10 minutes or till the shiny texture appears on them.
18. Finally, ukadiche modak is ready to serve.
Modak can also be shaped using a mould. grease the modak mould with ghee to prevent from sticking. stuff the rice flour dough into the mould walls. also, place a small ball sized mixture in the centre.
Close tightly and scrape off excess mixture. unmould the modak gently without breaking.