1. Take 1 cup wheat flour and 1 cup maida into a dish. you can also use only maida or only wheat flour.
2. Add a pinch of turmeric powder, salt to taste and mix everything well together. (dont add much salt, otherwise sweetness of puran decreases)
3. Add little water at a time and knead a little thin dough. the dough should not be thick at all.
4. Spread 2-3 tsp oil and knead the dough to make it nice and soft.
5. Transfer the dough into a bowl and spread a little oil over it.
6. Cover and let the dough rest for atleast 1 hour.
7. The more you knead and let the dough rest, the softer the puran poli will be.
8. Take 1 cup chana dal / split bengal gram. wash it well and soak dal in enough water for about 7-8 hours or overnight.
9. Transfer the soaked dal into cooker and add water. you can decide the quantity of water depending on how much kat you want.
10. Add a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp oil and mix well.
11. Close the lid and cook dal on medium heat until 5-6 whistles. do not cook on high heat.
12. Strain the excess water or kat from the dal. you can use the water for making katachi amti.
13. Mash the cooked dal really good with potato masher. you can beat the dal well with a whisk or ravi too.
14. Add 1 cup gud / jaggery and turn on the gas.
15. Cook dal on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until it thickens up really good and comes together.
16. Turn off the gas and add 1/4 tsp cardamom powder, 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder and mix well.
17. The puran is ready.
For making puran poli
18. Take the dough and knead it once more to make soft and nice.
19. Take a small ball of dough and dip it in dry flour. make pari as we roll while making modak. the pari should be thin at the edges and a little thick at the center.
20. Stuff puran and close up the pari from all sides. remove the excess dough if any.
21. Dip the ball in dry flour once more and roll the poli. roll it carefully so that puran won’t come out. the poli should be evenly rolled.
22. Heat up a pan on medium heat. when the pan is enough hot transfer the poli on it.
23. When small bubbles begin to appear on upper side after about 2 minutes flip the poli over.
24. Spread ghee on the poli. you can use oil too. flip the poli over and spread ghee on other side too.
25. When poli is roasted well from both sides take it off the pan.
26. Puran poli is ready to serve.
1. You can make 7-8 puran poli form this proportion.