1. In a large mixing bowl, add 500 gms of chicken, 1 tsp crushed black pepper, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp lemon juice. mix all the ingredients and set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
2. After 30 minutes, heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and place the marinated chicken pieces side by side. fry on high heat for 2 minutes and then turn and continue to fry for 2 minutes on the other side.
3. Continue to fry on medium heat for another 2-3 minutes turning the chicken pieces till the pieces are uniformly browned. remove and set aside.
4. Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan and add 2 small sliced onions (100 gms). fry on medium heat for 4-5 minutes till the onions are soft and translucent.
5. Add 1 inch chopped ginger (8-9 gms) and 6-7 garlic cloves (8-9 gms) and keep frying on medium heat for 1 minute.
6. Now add 8 cashew nuts and 2-3 chopped green chillies (8-9 gms). mix and fry on low heat for another minute. remove onto a plate and allow to cool.
7. To blend, add the items to a blender/grinder and coarse grind it. now add 3 tbsp water and blend it into a smooth paste.
8. Whisk 3 tbsp curd / plain yogurt till smooth and then add 3 tbsp water. give a mix and set aside.
9. Dry roast 2 tsp kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves. set aside and crush it with your hand.
10. Now take another pan and heat 2 tbsp oil. add the whole spices namely 3 green cardamom, 3 cloves, 2 inch cinnamon and allow it to splutter.
11. Give a stir and keeping the heat on low, add the paste blended earlier. stir and fry on low heat for 6-7 minutes till oil separates.
12. Add the fried chicken pieces, mix and fry on medium to low heat for 2-3 minutes.
13. Reduce the heat to low and add the whisked curd / yogurt (mixed with water), 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and salt to season.
14. Stir and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes till oil separates.
15. Now add 150 ml water. give it a good stir. cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes till chicken pieces are tender.
16. Open the lid and sprinkle 1 tsp crushed black pepper, 2 tsp roasted kasuri methi. mix and simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes till oil separates.
17. Chicken kali mirch is ready to serve!!