1. Mix 3 cups bitter gourd / karela peeled & cut into long strips with salt to taste in a deep bowl. mix well and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes, squeeze out excess water from the karela and discard it.
3. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a non-stick kadhai, add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds.
4. When the seeds crackle, add 1/2 tsp asafoetida, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
5. Add the squeezed karela, mix well. cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Add 1 cup potatoes cut into cubes and little salt . mix well. cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the karela is crisp and the potatoes are cooked, while stirring occasionally.
(Do not add alot of salt at this step since the karelas were marinated in salt too)
7. Add 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves, 1/4 cup broken cashew nuts and 2 tbsp sesame seeds. mix well and cook on a medium flame for more 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
8. Add 1.5 tbsp coriander-cumin seeds powder, 3/4 tbsp red chilli powder, 2 tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp dried mango powder / amchur powder. mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.