1. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. add 1 large chopped onion and cook for a couple minutes until onion is soft.
2. Add 4 minced garlic cloves and 1 pound ground beef extra lean and break the ground beef with a wooden spoon.
3. Cook until the meat is no longer pink.
4. Add 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp hot sauce and stir. cook for a couple of more minutes. add 28 oz (1 can) crushed tomatoes, stir and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. While the sauce is simmering you can prepare the zucchini, by either using a knife to slice them or using a mandoline. slice the zucchini so they are about 1/8 of an inch in thickness.
6. Preheat oven to 375°f. use a 9×13 inch baking dish.
7. Start with a layer of zucchini slices. top the zucchini layer with a bit of mozzarella cheese and then a layer of mushroom slices.
8. Next add a layer of the meat sauce, followed by dollops of ricotta cheese.
9. Repeat so that you end up with 3 layers of zucchini. when you get to the last layer of ricotta cheese, top with shredded mozzarella or slices of mozzarella cheese. finally sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
10. Transfer the baking dish in the oven for about 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is starting to get golden and the cheese is bubbly.
11. Garnish with parsley. allow the lasagna to sit and settle for about 10 to 15 minutes before slicing into it and serving.
1. Mozarella slices can also be used in placed of shredded mozarella cheese.
2. White mushrooms are used in this recipe.