1.Heat 2 tsp oil in a deep non-stick pan and add 1 bayleaf, 2 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon and 2 green cardamoms and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
2. Add 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies, 1/4 cup onion paste and sauté on a medium flame for another minute, till the onion paste turns brown in colour.
3. Add 2 tsp garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
4. Add 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till the tomatoes are cooked while stirring continuously.
5. Sprinkle a little water to avoid the onions from burning. add the 1 tbsp coriander-cumin seeds powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp red chilli powder and 2 tbsp water. mix well and cook on a medium flame for few seconds.
6. Add 3 cups of chopped fenugreek leaves, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 more minutes or till the fenugreek leaves are cooked.
7. Add 3 cups cooked brown rice (refer to handy tip mentioned below) and salt to taste, mix gently and cook on a slow flame for another 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Serve hot with curd or raita of your choice.
1. Soak 3 cups brown rice in enough water for 1 hour.
2. To make 3 cups of cooked brown rice, boil enough water in a deep pan, add salt, 1 tsp of oil and 3 cups of soaked and drained brown rice and cook till the rice is 85% cooked. drain completely and use as required.