1. To make beetroot rice, heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a broad non-stick pan. add 1 green cardamom, 1 clove, 2 small sticks of cinnamon, 1 bayleaf and 1 tsp cumin seeds. sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add 1/2 cup sliced onions and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder and 1/4 tsp cumin powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
4. Add 3/4 cup grated beetroot and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
5. Add salt to taste and 1/4 cup water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Add 2 cups cooked or leftover rice. mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Discard the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bayleaf. serve it hot, or allow it to cool completely before packing it in the lunch box.