1. In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil. once the oil is hot add 2 bay leaves, 1 inch cinnamon, 3 green cardamom, 4 cloves and 1 tsp of fennel seeds. you can also use 1/2 tsp fennel powder in place of fennel seeds.
2. Then add 200 gms chopped onions, salt to taste and saute until the onions are golden.
3. Then add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and mix it. after the raw smell of ginger garlic paste is gone, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder and 1 tbsp red chilli powder.
4. Then add 2 chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turns soft. further add the vegetables of your choice (carrots, cauliflower, peas, beans, potatoes and cauliflower are used in this recipe). add enough water and cook until the vegetables are 50 % done.
5. Meanwhile make a coconut base for the veg korma. in a blender add 1/2 cup of grated coconut, 1 tbsp roasted channa dal, 1 tsp poppy seeds, 5 cashews and grind it to a smooth paste along with some water.
If you don't like the taste of coconut add 1 boiled and mashed potato to thicken the gravy.
6. Once the veggies are half done add the coconut paste, add salt if required and cook until the vegetables are 100 % cooked.
7. Finally add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat. coriander leaves gives good flavor and aroma to the veg kuruma.
8. Our delicious hotel style veg kurma is ready to be enjoyed with chapathi or roti.
1. You can also use 1/2 tsp fennel powder in place of 1 tsp fennel seeds.
2. If you dont like taste of coconut, you add add 1 boiled and mashed potato instead. purpose is to thicken the gravy.