1. In a blender add 1/4 cup grated coconut, 1 tbsp roasted channa dal, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 4-5 cashews, 1/2 tsp poppy seeds and grind it to a smooth paste along with some water.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and once the oil is hot add 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamom, 2 cloves, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 1 tsp fennel seeds .let them splutter.
3. Then add 2 sliced onion and saute until the onions are golden.
4. Then in a mortar & pestle, blend 1/2 inch ginger and 2 garlic cloves. add this ginger garlic paste, along with 2 slit green chilies and mix it. after the raw smell of ginger garlic paste is gone add 2 chopped tomatoes. saute until it becomes soft and mushy.
5. Then add in the masalas - 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masala and 2 tsp chili powder. give it a stir and then add florets of 1 cauliflower ( peas and potatoes are also used for extra taste). add required salt and finally add water.
6. Cover and cook until the veggies are fully cooked. finally add the cooconut paste from step 1, stir and cook for few more minutes.
7. Finally add chopped coriander leaves, curry leaves and mix well. coriander leaves gives good flavor and aroma to the cauliflower kuruma.
8. Our delicious hotel style cauliflower gravy ready to be enjoyed with some chapathi and roti.