1. Firstly, to prepare spice mix dry roast 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin, ¾ tsp pepper, ¼ tsp methi, 2 dried red chilli and few curry leaves.
2. Dry roast until spices turn aromatic.
3. Cool completely and blend to coarse powder without adding water. keep aside.
4. In a kadai heat 1 tbsp ghee and splutter 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp cumin seeds, pinch hing, 1 dried red chilli, few curry leaves and 3 clove garlic.
5. Saute on low flame until tempering splutters.
6. Now add prepared spice mix and saute until spices turn aromatic.
7. Further add 1 tomato, 1 cup tamarind extract, 1 chilli, ½ tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt.
8. Mix well, cover and boil for 10 minutes.
9. Further add 2 cup toor dal, 1 cup water and adjust consistency.
10. Boil for 2 minutes or until rasam turns frothy.
11. Finally, add 2 tbsp coriander and enjoy dal rasam with hot steamed rice.
1. Firstly, do not over boil after adding dal as flavours will be lost.
2. Also, adding garlic makes rasam unique. however, can be skipped.
3. Additionally, adjust the consistency of rasam to your choice.
4. Finally, paruppu rasam recipe is great for rainy and winter season.