Vangi bath masala powder:
1. Firstly, in a heavy-bottomed pan, dry roast 5 inch cinnamon, 1 tsp clove, 5 pods green cardamom and 1 mace. roast until the spices turn aromatic. keep aside.
2. In the same pan dry roast 2 tsp poppy seeds until it starts to pop up. keep aside.
3. In the pan heat 1 tsp oil, add ¼ cup coriander seeds, ¼ cup urad dal / black gram skinned, ¼ cup chana dal / bengal gram, 1 tbsp cumin seeds and 1 tsp methi / fenugreek seeds. roast until the lentils turn golden brown.
4. Now add ½ cup sliced dry coconut and roast slightly.
5. Cool completely, making sure all the spices are not burnt.
6. Now heat 1 tsp oil and roast 20 dried red chillies until they puff up.
7. Cool completely and transfer the roasted spices to the blender.
8. Blend to coarse powder without adding any water. vangi bath masala powder is ready.
Vangi bath rice preparation:
9. Firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil, add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp urad dal / black gram skinned, 1 tsp chana dal / bengal gram, 2 tbsp peanut. saute and splutter on medium flame.
10. Now add few curry leaves and 1 dried red chilli. saute well.
11. Further add 2 cubed brinjal and saute for 2 minutes.
12. Also add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ cup tamarind extract and ½ tsp salt. mix well, cover and boil for 5 minutes.
13. Now add 2 tbsp of prepared vangi bath masala powder, ½ tsp jaggery and mix well.
14. Add 3 cup cooked rice and ½ tsp salt.
Mix well making sure the masala is well combined with rice.
15. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the flavours are absorbed well.
16. Finally, add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and enjoy vangi bath with raita.
1. Firstly, make sure to adjust the amount of vangi bath masala powder to the spice level.
2. Also, make sure to cook brinjal in tamarind extract to balance the flavour.
3. Additionally, roast the spices on low flame to prevent from burning.
4. Finally, vangi bath recipe tastes good when served after 1 hour.