Pressure cooking black chickpeas
1. Soak 1 cup black chickpeas / kala chana in water overnight.
2. In a pressure cooker, add the soaked black chickpeas with 1/2 tsp salt and 4 cups water. pressure cook for 7 whistles or until the chana is cooked well.
Kadala curry masala preparation
3. Now prepare masala paste by heating 1 tsp coconut oil. add ½ inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamom, 3 cloves and 1 tsp fennel seeds.
4. Next add ½ sliced onion, 2 garlic cloves and 1 inch ginger. saute well.
5. Further, add 1 chopped tomato and saute until tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
6. Additionally, add ½ cup grated coconut, few curry leaves. saute until coconut turns aromatic.
7. Keeping the flame on low add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder. saute until the spices turn aromatic.
8. Cool the mixture completely and transfer to the blender. add ½ cup water and blend to smooth paste.
Kadala curry preparation
9. In a large kadai heat 1 tsp coconut oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 broken dried red chilli, few curry leaves.
10. Also add 5 chopped shallots, 1 slit green chilli. saute until the onions turn translucent.
11. Further, add the prepared masala paste and saute for 2 minutes.
12. Add in the pressure cooked black chickpeas / kala chana and ½ tsp salt. mix well adjusting consistency as required.
13. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the flavours are absorbed well.
14. Finally, kadala curry recipe is ready to serve with appam or puttu.