1. Firstly, soak 1 cup urad dal / black gram skinned in enough water for 3 hours. do not over soak, as the vadas will absorb oil.
2. Drain off the water and grind to fine fluffy paste adding water as required. in this recipe 4 tbsp of water is used to make smooth thick paste.
3. Transfer the urad dal paste into large mixing bowl. beat and mix the batter in circular motion till they turn light. this helps to incorporate air into batter and make medu vada soft and fluffy.
4. Further add 2 finely chopped green chillies, 1 inch finely chopped ginger, few chopped curry leaves, 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp chopped dry coconut, pinch of hing / asafoetida, 2 tbsp rice flour and ½ tsp salt. mix the batter well with the help of spoon.
5. Heat the oil in a large kadai. wet your hands with water and take a small ball sized dough and make it round.
6. Now slowly shape the edges and make a hole in the centre like you prepare in bread vada.
7. Drop the vada in oil and deep fry the medu vada on medium flame. fry on both sides till they turn golden brown and crisp.
8. Finally, serve hot medu vada with sambar or chutney of your choice.