1. In a pan dry roast 1/2 cup oats until fragrant. cook the roasted oats in 1/2 cup water and little salt for 2-3 minutes.
2. To this, add 1/4 cup cooked moong dal / yellow split gram and a few tbsp of water. stir until mixed well.
3. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a small saucepan. add 10 black peppercorns or 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper, 1 tsp cumin seeds , 1 inch finely chopped ginger, few curry leaves and 5-6 halved cashew nuts.
4. Once cashews turn golden brown, add this over the pongal. give it a mix and serve hot with tomato chutney or coconut chutney or gothsu.
1. If not dry roasting the oats in a pan, you can alternatively microwave the oats for 1 minute. the effect is going to be the same.
2. You can either put 9-10 black peppercorns or 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper.