Masala dosa batter preparation
1. Firstly, in a large bowl take 3 cups sona masuri rice and ½ tsp methi seeds / fenugreek leaves. rinse well and soak in enough water for 4 hours.
2. In another bowl take 1 cup urad dal / black gram skinned, 2 tbsp toor dal / yellow pigeon peas and 2 tbsp chana dal / bengal gram. rinse well and soak in enough water for 2 hours.
3. After soaking the dal for 2 hours, drain off the water and transfer to the grinder. add water as required and blend to smooth paste. you can also grind in mixy if you do not have access to a grinder.
4. Scrape sides. the smooth and fluffy batter will be ready after 40 minutes.
5. Transfer the batter to a large vessel and keep aside.
6. In the same grinder add soaked rice and 1 cup rinsed poha / flattened rice.
7. Add water slowly and scrape the sides. blend to a coarse paste.
8. Transfer the rice batter to the same urad dal batter. mix well making sure everything is well combined.
9. Ferment in a warm place for at least 8 hours or until the batter doubles in volume. if you are living in a cold climate, then you can place the batter in a warm oven to ferment.(just heat the oven until it turns slightly warm and then turn off)
10. Once the batter is well fermented, mix gently, without disturbing the air pockets.
11. Transfer 4 cups of fermented batter to a small bowl and add 1 tsp salt.
12. Mix well until the salt is well combined. masala dosa batter is ready. keep aside.
Aloo bhaji preparation
13. Firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp urad dal / black gram skinned, 1 tsp chana dal / bengal gram, 1 dried red chilli, few curry leaves, a pinch hing / asafoetida.
14. Now add 2 finely chopped green chillies and 1 inch finely chopped ginger. saute well.
15. Also, add 1 sliced onion and saute until onions shrink slightly.
16. Further, add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt. saute well.
17. Now add 3 boiled & mashed potatoes. mix well, mash slightly making sure everything is well combined.
18. Turn off the flame and add 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves and 2 tbsp lemon juice.
19. Mix well and aloo bhaji for masala dosa is ready. keep aside.
Masala dosa preparation
20. Add a ladleful of batter on hot tawa. spread as thin as possible making a crispy dosa.
21. Take 1 tsp of butter and spread uniformly.
22. Also, place 2 tbsp of prepared aloo masala in the centre. roast until the dosa turns golden brown and crisp.
23. Scrape the sides of dosa and roll the dosa.
24. Finally, masala dosa is ready to serve with coconut chutney and sambar.