1. Firstly, dry roast 1 cup rava / sooji / semolina on medium flame for 2-3 minutes. let it cool completely before preparing idli.
2. Transfer the dry roasted rava to a large mixing bowl. also add 1 cup ragi flour / finger millet to it.
3. Furthermore add salt to taste and 1 cup sour curd.
4. Add water as required depending on curd thickness. give a good mix and allow to soak for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, mix well and add water if required to get an idli batter consistency.
6. Just before steaming the idli, add 1/4 tsp of baking soda and mix well till it turns frothy.
7. Brush the idli plates with oil and pour the batter immediately into the idli plate. do not rest the batter.
8. Steam the idlis for 8-10 minutes on medium flame. allow it to rest for 5 minutes then unmould.
9. Finally, serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.