1. Firstly, in a heavy bottomed pan add 1/4 cup sesame seeds / til and dry roast till they turn golden brown. keep aside.
2. Further, add 2 tsp oil and fry 15-20 dried kashmiri red chillies till they puff up.
3. Also add a handful of curry leaves and continue to sauté till they turn crisp. keep aside and allow to cool.
4. Furthermore, add a tsp more oil and saute 1/4 cup chana dal / bengal gram and 1/2 cup urad dal / black gram skinned till they turn golden brown.
5. Transfer to a blender. add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp hing / asafoetida and salt to taste. blend to coarse powder. podi / gun powder is ready!
6. In a tawa or a pan take a tsp of ghee.
7. Once the ghee melts, coat leftover idli. warm both sides of idli by flipping occasionally.
8. Further add prepared podi / gun powder. toss and coat the idlis with podi on both the sides.
9. Fry the idli for a minute, making sure the idli gets warm up from inside as well.
10. Finally, serve idli podi / milagai podi immediately.
You can use sesame oil or coconut oil or vegetable oil.